Thursday, October 6, 2011

Life is a prize so live it to the fullest



I’ve been on this earth for only seventeen years and during those seventeen years I have learned a lot about myself. The environment I’ve grown up in and the friends that I have surrounded myself with have influenced me in many different ways. My family however has shaped me to be the person I am today.

I come from a big family. Having my parents’ divorce then both remarrying has created a large and loving family for me. Each family member has taught me something different, whether its manners, right and wrong or even simple tips. However, no one has taught me more about life than my step mother, Amy.

Amy has been in my life for only ten years, but throughout those ten years she has taught me that life is a prize and that every moment should be lived like it is your last. As I aged our personalities clashed and our opinions shifted in different directions. Having another mother figure in my life was confusing, especially having them both parent me in completely different ways. I felt trapped.

About a year ago I had a falling out with my Dad and Step mom. They weren’t giving me what I wanted and were treating me in a way I did not like, so I took the easy way out. I left. I decided to stay with my Mom and Step Dad full time. Not only did i leave my Dad and Step Mom, but I left my three year old sister behind. I knew I took the easy way out. I knew I was hurting them, but I didn’t care. I was getting what I wanted, I had won. Or so I thought…

It was a week before Easter and our annual family gathering at grandma’s house was finally here. But this year was going to be different. My Dad and Step Mom decided to meet early at my grandma’s house in order to talk. All that was going through my head was ‘I don’t want to do this’ ‘This is going to be a waste of time.’ My thoughts quickly changed after my dad told me the news, “Amy has breast cancer.”

No words could escape my mouth, my heart gave up beating, and my stomach turned causing me to wince. I couldn’t believe the words that had just flowed through my ears. I started to hate myself. I had left them. A few days after I left them Amy had received this horrible news while I was at home feeling like I had won. I am selfish.

Over the next year things changed. I became closer to My Dad and Amy, especially Amy. I watched as her body thinned, as her hair came out in clumps, and as Amy, my step mom, changed completely. Her attitude was inspirational. Her smile was contagious. Her bravery was heroic. I have never been so proud of anyone in my life. Amy took this challenge as if it were just another obstacle to overcome.

Amy is my hero. Because of her I now see life as a prize. I now live every moment like it is my last. And I now try and see the world through everyone else’s perspective. I have seen how selfish I can be, and I now see that life isn’t all about me. Life is about the people you love the most, your family. I love my life, I love my friends and family, I love my Amy.

No comments:

Post a Comment