Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Life is a prize, Live every moment like it's your last.



I’ve been on this earth for only seventeen years and during those seventeen years I have learned a lot about myself. The environment I’ve grown up in and the friends that I have surrounded myself with have influenced me in many different ways. My family however has shaped me to be the person I am today.

I come from a big family. Having my parents’ divorce then both remarrying has created a large and loving family for me. Each family member has taught me something different, whether its manners, right and wrong or even simple tips. However, no one has taught me more about life than my step mother, Amy.

Amy has been in my life for only ten years, but throughout those ten years she has taught me that life is a prize and that every moment should be lived like it is your last. As I aged our personalities clashed and our opinions shifted in different directions. Having another mother figure in my life was confusing, especially having them both parent me in completely different ways. I felt trapped.

About a year ago I had a falling out with my Dad and Step mom. They weren’t giving me what I wanted and were treating me in a way I did not like, so I took the easy way out. I left. I decided to stay with my Mom and Step Dad full time. Not only did I leave my Dad and Step Mom, but I left my three year old sister behind. I knew I took the easy way out. I knew I was hurting them, but I didn’t care. I was getting what I wanted, I had won. Or so I thought…

It was a week before Easter and our annual family gathering at grandma’s house was finally here. But this year was going to be different. My Dad and Step Mom wanted to meet early at my grandma’s house in order to talk. All that was going through my head was ‘I don’t want to do this’ ‘This is going to be a waste of time.’ My thoughts quickly changed after my dad told me the news, “Amy has breast cancer.”

No words could escape my mouth, my heart gave up beating, and my stomach turned causing me to wince. I couldn’t believe the words that had just flowed through my ears. I started to hate myself. I had left them. A few days after I left them Amy had received this horrible news while I was at home feeling like I had won. I am selfish.

Over the next year things changed. I became closer to My Dad and Amy, especially Amy. I watched as her body thinned, as her hair came out in clumps, and as Amy, my step mom, changed completely. Her attitude was inspirational. Her smile was contagious. Her bravery was heroic. I have never been so proud of anyone in my life. Amy took this challenge as if it were just another obstacle to overcome.

Amy is my hero. Because of her I now see life as a prize. I now live every moment like it is my last. And I now try and see the world through everyone else’s perspective. I have seen how selfish I can be, and I now see that life isn’t all about me. Life is about the people you love the most, your family. I love my life, I love my friends and family, I love my Amy.

9 comments:

  1. Chandler, this is so good! It's extremely powerful and colleges would love this if you were to use it as your essay. I love how you talk about Amy and stress her importance and courage. The words flow the way you write and your pace stays the same I noticed, which is what Ms. Kennett said to watch out for. My only question is how could you feel selfish? Do you really think it's your fault the way things happened?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this! Chandler, this was so well written and full of compassion! My grandfather had cancer so I can imagine how you were feeling when you found out Amy was sick. Nonetheless, your hope is inspiring as was your post. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chandler, as always you bring a smile to my face. This essay is great and I wouldn't change a thing. I have a step prent in my life as well so I know the frustration they can bring, but I also know they are the ones who love you the most.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good! This essay was moving and inspiration, way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really really good. I can tell you revised this (if not, then whatever; it's still really well written!). I know where your coming from with feeling guilty. My Nana was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a while ago, and when she she finally passed, I felt guilty for not being there enough for her.

    I definitely know where you're coming from with this. You really portray your emotions well and then transition fluidly into that strength of love you feel for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for some of your hardships Chandler. I can't really relate to what living through a divorce between parents is like, but I'm sure it must not be pleasant. Amy sounds like an inspirational person. I have an aunt with breast cancer, and she has been so strong about it over the years. It brings a tear to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a great job reading and writing this. I wouldn't change a thing. I'm so sorry for what you have had to endure, but I am glad that you have been able to learn from these experiences and become a better person in spite of them. I liked the way you ended each paragraph in a way that made the reader want to keep reading. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a great job displaying Amy's importance and relevance to your own life and how she has changed your outlook on life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fantastic; it is so powerful. It definitely made me tear up. I love when you say " Her attitude was inspirational. Her smile was contagious. Her bravery was heroic." The quick pace really brings the story to an uplifting way you see Amy. Was it just her cancer that taught you life as a prize, or was it her out look on having cancer?

    ReplyDelete